- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 1 hr 15 min
- Serving: Serves 8 people
A treat for the end of a traditional meal, Chinese New Year Sticky Rice Cake is out-of-the-ordinary good!
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/4 cups glutinous rice flour
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 1 cup dried apricots (or your favorite dried fruit), chopped
- 1 piece of crystallized ginger, diced
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and set aside. Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the yolks to the mixture and mix together well. Add about 1/3 of the glutinous rice flour and mix together well. Add about 1/2 the milk to the mixture. Alternately add the rice flour and milk to the mixture until all of both are mixed in.
- Add the apricots (or other dried fruit) and then fold in the egg whites. Pour the batter into a loaf pan. You can either use a wok steamer to steam the cake for an hour, or if you don't have a steamer try the following: Place the loaf pan in a larger pan and fill the outer pan with water until it's about halfway up the side of the loaf pan. Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covering the larger pan. Once steamed, sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Allow to cool before cutting into thin slices and serving.