- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 50 min
- Serving: Serves 8-10 people
The traditional meal festivities for the Chinese New Year includes serving Chinese Dumplings with Dipping Sauce. Filled with meats and veggies, this is an easy and tasty recipe to ring in the new year!
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 5 medium-sized shrimp, chopped
- 1 head of napa cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon while pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sesame oil (1 for filling, 1 for dipping sauce)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce (1 for filling, 3 for dipping sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 prepared package of wonton or potsticker wrappers (preferably rounded and thick)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (to fry the dumplings)
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar (for dipping sauce)
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce (for dipping sauce)
- In a large bowl, combine the pork, shrimp, cabbage and all the seasonings for the filling. Mix well and set aside.
- Using the prepared wrappers, carefully separate the wrappers individually and put a teaspoonful of the mixture in the center of each wrapper. Dab water around the edges, then fold the dumpling and seal the edges with a fork.
- In the meantime, to make the dipping sauce, whisk together 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 teaspoon rice vinegar, 1 teaspoon sesame oil and 1 teaspoon chili sauce. Chill prior to using.
- Add the 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the dumplings and turn the heat to high. Fry until the bottoms are golden and crisp. Add the water to the pan and cover. Cook until the water evaporates, and turn the heat to low. Cook for about another 2 minutes and serve hot.