- Prep: 35 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 50 min
- Serving: 4
Serve Chinese Beef and Tomato with a tossed green salad and white rice for a satisfying and colorful meal.
- 1 pound round steak, sliced across grain 1/8 inch thick by 2 inches long
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and cut lengthwise into 8 pieces
- 2 green peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into strips
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 slice ginger, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon five spice powder
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Sauce: 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Marinate steak with soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch for 30 minutes. Turn several times to coat the meat.
- Prepare vegetables and seasonings. Heat wok. Add 1 tablespoon oil and stir fry onion and green pepper for 3 minutes. Set vegetables aside.
- Heat remaining oil and add seasonings--garlic, ginger and five spice powder. Stir fry briefly and discard ginger.
- Add meat and stir fry just until cooked. Return onions, green pepper and tomatoes to wok. Heat while tossing together. Add sauce ingredients and stir until glossy. Coat well.