- Prep: 2 hr 24 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 2 hr 24 min
- Serving: 6 Servings
Use crème fraiche instead of heavy cream for this chilled tomato soup; it adds the same smooth texture and creamy taste but with a touch of delicious tang.
- 4 pounds tomatoes, quartered and seeded
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon, plus tarragon leaves for garnish
- Place the tomatoes, vegetable broth, olive oil, tomato paste, red wine vinegar and sugar into a blender and process until smooth. Pour the tomato mixture into a bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for 2-1/2 hours to chill and to allow the flavors to develop.
- In a separate bowl, combine the crème fraiche, tarragon and a few grinds of fresh pepper. Stir to combine.
- Serve the chilled soup topped with a dollop of the crème fraiche mixture and sprinkled with the fresh tarragon leaves.