- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 1 hr 15 min
- Serving: Serves 8
Chile Relleno literally translates to “stuffed chili” in Spanish. A typical Mexican dish originating from the city of Puebla, this version layers the peppers with cheese into a casserole instead of stuffing them.
- 3 cans whole green chilies, drained (7-oz)
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1-1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can chili salsa (7-oz)
- Make a batter by mixing the flour, eggs, milk and salt together with a fork.
- Pour half the batter on the bottom of a 9 x 12-inch casserole dish. Next, layer the chilies on the batter followed by the shredded cheese. Pour remaining batter over cheese.
- Put dish in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour salsa over the casserole. Bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve hot.