- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: Makes 4 servings
Try this easy and delicious recipe for chickpea fritter pitas with garlicky yogurt sauce. Your family will love it!
- 1 cup low fat Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tomato
- 1, 15-ounce can chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans), rinsed
- 1 egg white
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 pitas, cut in half and toasted
- To make yogurt sauce, mix all ingredients well; add more garlic, to taste, if desired. Refrigerate until serving.
- Using the coarse side of a box grater, grate the cucumber into a mixing bowl. Finely dice the tomato and add to the bowl; mix well to make a slaw, and set aside.
- Place the chickpeas in a bowl and smash with a fork until there are no whole beans; stir in the egg white; add the green onions and spices, and mix well.
- Heat a pan to medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add the oil. When oil is hot, drop tablespoon-sized, tightly packed patties of the chickpea mixture into the pan. Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Brown one side of the patties, then flip and brown the other side.
- To assemble the pitas, place a few fritters inside each, then top with the cucumber slaw and garlicky yogurt sauce.