- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Total: 20 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
A simple appetizer with healthy ingredients and big flavor; serve with a glass of chilled Savignon Blanc.
- 1/2 loaf Italian bread or baguette, cut into 8 diagonal slices, 1/2-inch thick
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 (14 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 (7.5 oz) cans wild salmon or 2 (5 oz) cans tuna in oil, drained and flaked
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley or basil
- 2 ounces (4 cups) baby arugula or arugula blend
- Prepare the oven broiler.
- Place the slices of bread in a single layer on a baking sheet and then brush thoroughly with the 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Place under the broiler for 5 minutes, or until toasted, and then remove.
- In the meantime, place the garlic, chickpeas, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 4 tablespoons oil, 2 tablespoons water, salt and pepper to taste in a food processor, and process until creamy.
- Add the salmon, tomatoes and parsley, and stir to combine.
- Place the arugula in a small bowl and toss with the remaining lemon juice, the remaining olive oil and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the salmon mixture onto each slice of toasted bread and then top with the arugula mixture.