- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 35 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
A lighter version of the Russian classic, this stroganoff is made with chicken instead of beef.
- 1 pound sliced baby bella or cremini mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 pound egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock or broth
- 4 cups boneless skinless rotisserie chicken pieces
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Put the mushrooms, onion and 3 tablespoons of butter into a sauté pan and place over medium-high heat.
- Cook the mixture for 10 minutes and then transfer to a bowl.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain then toss with 2 tablespoons butter.
- In the meantime, put the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter into the sauté pan and place over medium-low heat. Sprinkle in the flour, and then whisk the mixture continuously for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 30 seconds then pour in the stock and whisk to blend.
- Put the mushroom mixture back into the pot and cook for an additional 2 minutes, and then add the chicken, scallion, sour cream and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine and then serve the chicken mixture over the noodles.