- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: Makes 6-8 Servings
This light, healthy and satisfying salad is made with a combination of chicken, quinoa, dried fruit and fresh herbs and spices.
- 3 large (1-1/2 pounds) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 12 pods green cardamom, crushed
- 1 tablespoon peeled, chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups mixed dried fruit, chopped
- 1 large navel orange, peeled and segmented
- 1 large apple, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley
- juice of 1 large lemon
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Place the chicken into a pot along with the bay leaf, 1-1/2 cups of water and a few pinches of salt. Simmer the mixture over medium heat for 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot (reserve liquid for stock) and cut into chunks once cool.
- In the meantime, cook the quinoa as directed on the package and then set aside to cool.
- Place 1 cup of water, the cardamom, ginger and honey into a saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook, covered, for 12 minutes. Strain the mixture and return the liquid to the pot. Add the dried fruit and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove the pot from the heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Place the cooked chicken, cooked quinoa, dried fruit, oranges, apples, celery, parsley, lemon juice and a few healthy pinches of salt and pepper into a salad bowl. Toss gently to combine and then serve.