- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 35 min
- Serving: Serves 8 people
An appetizer perfect for parties, Chicken Lettuce Wraps add crunch and tang to any festivities.
- 2 teaspoons of light soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 2 large (or 3 small) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons of canola oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped, fresh ginger (optional)
- 3 whole scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons of hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons of plum sauce
- 8 large leaves of iceberg lettuce, rinsed and dried
- 1/2 cup of crunchy chow mein noodles (canned)
- Mix the soy sauce, broth, sesame oil and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Place the chicken breasts in a food processor. Drizzle the marinade over top of the chicken and process the mixture until the chicken is ground, or finely chopped.
- Spoon the mixture into a small bowl, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the canola oil, garlic and ginger and cook for about 10 seconds.
- Add the chicken mixture to the pan, breaking up the lumps into small pieces. Cook until the chicken is cooked through (about 6 minutes).
- Add the chopped scallions, carrot and celery to the chicken. Cook, tossing with a spatula until tender (about 1 minute).
- Stir in the hoisin and plum sauces and toss.
- When ready to serve, spoon the chicken mixture into each lettuce leaf and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the chow mein noodles each.