- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 10 min
- Total: 1 hr 25 min
- Serving: 6
Chicken Casserole Angostura is full of vegetables and a savory sauce.
- 1, 3 to 4 pound chicken, cut up
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 carrots, diced
- 2 small turnips, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon Angostura aromatic bitters
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Coat chicken with flour. Brown chicken in butter in skillet. Remove chicken from skillet.
- Brown carrots, turnips, onions and potatoes in pan drippings. Add tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon satl, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and sugar, stirring to blend. Remove vegetables. Dissolve bouillon cubes in 2 cups boiling water.
- Blend 2 tablespoons flour into pan drippings. Add bouillon and bitters gradually. Cook until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
- Arrange vegetables in bottom of deep casserole. Pour half the gravey over vegetables. Arrange chicken pieces over vegetables. Pour remaining gravy over top. Bake covered, at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.