- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook Time: 90 min
- Total: 2 hr 30 min
- Serving: Makes 6-8 servings
Use this as a base for chicken and vegetable soups. It adds rich and deep flavor.
- 1 (2 to 3 pounds) Fryer Chicken
- 1 to 1-1/2 pounds Chicken Bones and Scraps
- 2 Celery Stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 medium White Onion, chopped into wedges
- 2 medium Tomatoes, chopped into wedges
- 4 quarts Cold Water
- 1 tablespoon Coarse Salt
- Put the chicken, chicken bones, chopped celery, chopped white onion, tomato, water and salt in a stockpot and place over medium heat.
- Once the mixture boils, turn down the heat to low and simmer for 90 minutes, skimming off any fat from the top and discarding.
- Strain the mixture through cheesecloth and discard any solids.
- Add a few pinches of salt to the broth and then allow to cool slightly before placing in the refrigerator until ready to use.