- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
A sweet and savory pineapple sauce is combined with chicken and rice in this simple and delicious recipe.
- 1 can (20 ounces) chunk pineapple, drained with liquid reserved
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings,
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut in large pieces
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 2-1/2 cups hot cooked rice
- Place the ketchup and reserved pineapple liquid into a measuring cup and add enough water to make 2-1/2 cups total.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the soy sauce and set aside.
- Put the olive oil into a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Once it begins to shimmer, add the onion and celery and sauté for 4 minutes. Stir in the chicken and then pour in the ketchup mixture. Add a few pinches of salt and pepper and then bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Cook the mixture for 5 minutes before adding the soy sauce mixture to the pan. Cover the pan and cook for an additional 5 minutes before adding the rice, stirring to combine and serving.