- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 12 min
- Total: 22 min
- Serving: 8 servings
A classic American dish, use leftover or rotisserie chicken from the supermarket for this quick and easy meal.
- 6 tablespoons butter (3/4 stick)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (3 cups)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups milk or half-and-half
- 4 cups cooked chopped chicken
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, almond or pecans
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and grease a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Place the 6 tablespoons of butter into a large saucepan and melt over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms, stir to coat and then sauté for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and whisk the mixture to combine, then slowly pour in the broth and the cream and continue to whisk until blended.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the chicken, rice and nuts and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared dish and sprinkle with the bread crumbs, parmesan and melted butter.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.