- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total: 1 hr 5 min
- Serving: 6
Skip the noodles! Chicken and Brown Rice Soup is a flavorful favorite that even Grandma would love.
- 8 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1, 6 ounce chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring 1/2 cup broth to a simmer. Add onion, celery and carrots. Cook about 10 minutes or until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining broth, water, rice, chicken and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook about 35 minutes or until rice and chicken are cooked through.
- Remove bay leaf and stir in kale. Continue cooking until kale is wilted, about 5 minutes.