- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 20 min
- Serving: Makes 6 dozen cookies
These chewy cookies make a cozy afternoon snack, especially alongside a hot cup of coffee or tea. Consider baking a batch to share with a friend.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat shortening, butter, sugar, eggs, juice and vanilla.
- Blend flour combination into sugar mixture.
- Fold in oatmeal, cherries and nuts.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.