- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total: 1 hr 10 min
- Serving: 24
Top this cake with your favorite frosting or eat it plain.
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can sour pitted cherries, drained
- 1/2 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream shortening, eggs and sugar together in a bowl. Sift all dry ingredients together.
- Add to cream mixture alternately with milk.
- Blend just until well mixed.
- Fold in drained cherries and nuts.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 inch baking dish. Bake 40 minutes or until done.