- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total: 1 hr
- Serving: Makes 2 loaves
Consider serving this sweet bread at your next holiday dinner.
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 cups chopped cherries, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.
- Cream shortening, sugar and egg yolks.
- Blend flour combination, milk and vanilla into egg mixture.
- Fold in cherries, nuts and egg whites.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pans.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes.