- Prep: 48 hr 5 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 48 hr 15 min
- Serving: 6
After eating Cherries in Red Wine you can drink the wine!
- 2 cups dry red wine, such as Chianti
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 strips orange peel, 3 inch by 1 inch
- 1, 3 inch stick cinnamon
- 1 1/2 pounds dark sweet cherries
- In covered 4 quart saucepan, heat wine, sugar, orange peel and cinnamon to boiling over medium high heat. Boil 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Place cherries in bowl or storage container with tight fitting lid. Pour wine mixture over cherries. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to 2 days.
- To serve, ladle cherries with wine into cups or dessert bowls.