- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 1 hr 20 min
- Serving: 4
Warm and hearty cheese and veggie soup recipe that will please the whole family.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion
- 1 large leek
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 turnip
- 1 large potato
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/8 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups light cream
- 10 1.2 ounces grated Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped mix of parsley, tarragon, and chives
- salt and pepper
- Chop onion, thinly slice leek, and dice all veggies.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter then cook onion, leek, and garlic, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in stock, making sure to stir well. Bring to a boil as you add remaining stock.
- Stir in the rest of the vegetables, thyme, and bay leaf. Cook at a gentle roll, covered, for 35 minutes
- Take out thyme branches and leaf, lower heat, and stir in cream.
- After 5 minutes begin adding cheese by the handfuls, stirring the entire time and making sure cheese is melted before next addition.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed. Serve warm.