- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: Makes 32 small tamales
Here is one of Chef Bernstein-Martinez’s favorite Mexican recipes for cheesy chicken tamales, featuring Sargento® Artisan Blends® Shredded Authentic Mexican Cheese. Ideal for everyday meals as well as Cinco de Mayo celebrations. Not only are the Latin chef’s recipes authentic in flavor, they also are quite easy to prepare.
- 1, 8-ounce package dried corn husks
- 3 cups masa harina
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 8-ounces Sargento® Artisan Blends® Shredded Authentic Mexican Cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 cups shredded or chopped, cooked chicken
- 3/4 cup tomatillo salsa
- Soak corn husks in warm water to cover. Combine masa, baking powder, and salt in a food processor and pulse once to combine. Add shortening and pulse several times to combine. Add broth and process until well combined. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in cheese and cilantro.
- Combine chicken and salsa; mixing well. Drain corn husks. Spread 2 tablespoons of the masa mixture on the smooth side of a corn husk in the center of the husk, spreading slightly with back of a spoon, leaving a border around all sides of corn husk.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture over the masa and top with 1 more tablespoon masa. Fold the two long sides of the husk toward the middle over the masa mixture, folding bottom and top of the husk over filling, encasing filling completely. Tie with a strand of corn husk.
- Stand the tamales on end in a large steamer set over simmering water. Cover and steam for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the tamales separate easily from the husk.