- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 15 min
- Total: 1 hr 30 min
- Serving: 6
Cheesy Chicken Rice Souffle is a great way to use canned or leftover chicken.
- 1/3 cup regular long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 pound Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1, 6 3/4 ounce can chunk chicken, drained and flaked
- Prepare rice as package directs.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In 2 quart saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in milk; cook until mixture is slightly thickened and smooth, stirring constantly. Stir in cheese; cook, stirring, just until cheese melts. Remove saucepan from heat.
- In small bowl with fork, beat egg yolks slightly; stir in a small amount of hot cheese sauce. Slowly pour egg mixture back into sauce, stirring rapidly to prevent lumping. Cool slightly.
- In large bowl with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. With rubber spatula, gently fold in cheese mixture, on third at a time, into egg whites just until blended. Gently fold rice and chicken into mixture.
- Pour mixture into a 1 1/2 quart ungreased souffle dish. With back of spoon, about 1 inch from edge of dish, make 1 inch deep indentation all around the souffle mixture. This make a top hat effedt when the souffle is done. Bake 55 to 60 minutes until knife inserted under top hat comes out clean.