- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 15 min
- Total: 1 hr 30 min
- Serving: 6
American Chop Suey is made with macaroni, Cheddar cheese and tomato sauce.
- 1, 8 ounce package small macaroni
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon each garlic salt, pepper
- 1, 1 pound can tomatoes
- 1, 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook macaroni in 3 cups boiling salted water in saucepan until tender. Set aside, covered, for 5 minutes; drain.
- Saute onion, green pepper and celery in butter in skillet until golden; set aside.
- Brown beef with seasonings in skillet, stirring until crumbly. Pour off drippings. Add sauteed vegetables, tomatoes and tomato sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add macaroni and 3/4 cup cheese, mixing well. Pour into greased 2 quart casserole. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake covered, at 375 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes.