- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: 4-6
This family-friendly Cheeseburger Macaroni Casserole recipe was created by Chef Ina Pinkney, and comes to us courtesy of the Arizona Dairy Council.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni (or whole wheat penne or rotini pasta)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray an 8x8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef and onion until beef is browned and onion is soft; drain.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, omitting salt; drain. Spoon the macaroni into the prepared pan. Spread the beef mixture and chopped tomato over macaroni. Pour tomato sauce over beef and sprinkle with seasoned salt, if desired, and pepper.
- Sprinkle with cheese and cover loosely with foil; bake 35 minutes or until cheese is melted and edges of casserole are bubbling.