- Prep: 12 hr
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 13 hr
- Serving: 4-6 People
This easy and delicious recipe for a cheese souffle is from my mom, thanks, Mom!
A fresh fruit salad or mixed greens with a light vinaigrette dressing are great sides with this dish. And, this souffle may be made ahead of time, just cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- 8 slices day-old white bread, buttered on both sides with crusts removed
- 1 1/2 pounds shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- Whisk all of the ingredients together, except the bread.
- Grease a 10 x 13-inch pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Layer bread slices and cheese: start with one slice, then a handful of cheese, repeat until done.
- Pour egg mixture over layers.
- Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Bring to room temperature.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for about 1 hour, or until souffle is brown and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing and serving.