- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: Serves 4 people
Cheese-filled eggplant rolls are a tasty and Italian-inspired meal. Easy to make and delicious, this recipes is a great vegetarian dish, too.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup goat cheese
- 1-1/2 cups marinara sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Cut off the stem of the eggplant and peel the skin using a potato peeler. Slice the eggplant lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place a wire cooling rack on a baking sheet. Place the eggplant slices on the cooling rack and brush them lightly with olive oil, and season them with the salt and pepper. Roast the eggplant for about 8-10 minutes, then cover them with foil and set aside.
- Use a small bowl and combine the ricotta and goat cheese. Rub an 8x8-inch baking dish with olive oil, including the sides. Spoon about 3/4 of a cup of the marinara sauce into the baking dish. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the cheese on top of the eggplant slices. Roll them up and arrange them seam-side down on the baking dish. To the rolls with the remaining marinara sauce and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake the rolls for another 15 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Serve the eggplant rolls warm.