- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total: 1 hr
- Serving: 6
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 4 cups lowfat 1% milk
- Â¼ cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Â¼ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- Â½ teaspoon ground allspice
- Â½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Â½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Â½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Â½ cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- In a large heavy saucepot, toast rice over high heat, stirring until fragrant and golden (not scorched), about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add milk, half and half, vanilla, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Quickly add spices and stir to incorporate.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently, until rice is tender and pudding has thickened, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- If liquid begins to evaporate too quickly, add hot water a little at a time to keep rice creamy.
- Stir in ginger and remove from heat.
- Best served warm with an extra dash of cinnamon and splash of half and half.
- For a tangy contrast, top with a dollop of lowfat sour cream or plain yogurt.