- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total: 1 hr 50 min
- Serving: 1 casserole dish loaf
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 talespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 packages of cakes yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsifted rye flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Scald 1 cup of milk. Stir in the sugar, salt and shortening. Allow it to come to lukewarm temperature.
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water, add to the milk mixture.
- Add 1 teaspoon of the caraway seeds and all the flours. Mix until well blended.
- Cover the bowl and allow it to rise until doubled, about 50 minutes.
- Stir for 30 seconds, pour into the prepared casserole dish. Brush the top with the remaining milk and caraway seeds.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until done. Cool on rack.