- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook Time: 33 min
- Total: 1 hr 33 min
- Serving: 4 to 6 servings
This dish is bubbling over with wonderful Indian flavors and textures. Serve with hot white rice and a cold Indian beer.
- Two pounds of chicken
- 3/4 cup and 3 teaspoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large sized onion, chopped fine
- 5 teaspoons of unsalted roasted cashew nuts
- 1 2-inch long cinnamon stick
- 2-1/2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Rinse the chicken under cold water and then part dry. Cut into 1-inch cubes and place into a large bowl.
- Add the 3/4 cup yogurt, turmeric powder and a sprinkle of salt to the bowl and mix well to combine. Place the chicken, covered, into the refrigerator to marinate for 1 hour.
- Place 2-1/2 teaspoons of cashew nuts with the remaining 3 teaspoons of yogurt in a blender, and blend to make a thick paste.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the cashew mixture. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until golden brown and then set aside.
- Add the onions to the pan and sauté with the cinnamon stick for 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the chili powder with 3/4 cup of water and bring the mixture to a boil.
- When the mixture boils, add the chicken and the yogurt marinade and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat, cover the pan and simmer until chicken is done, about 20 minutes.
- Add the cashew mixture and cook for another 5 minutes. Spoon over white rice and garnish with the remaining cashew nuts and some chopped cilantro.