- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total: 1 hr 15 min
- Serving: 10-12 people
A dense, flavorful carrot cake.
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable, canola or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Approximately 6-8 carrots
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 335 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 9 inch round cakes, 350 for a 9 by 13 inch cake pan. Grease your pan(s) of choice.
- Wash and peel the carrots. Using the large side of a cheese grater, grate the carrots until you have 3 cups worth. Avoid letting the carrots get to wet or mushy.
- In a large bowl beat your eggs, oil, applesauce, sugars and vanilla.
- Add flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and cinnamon until well mixed.
- Mix in carrots, raisins and walnuts until well incorporated.
- Pour into your prepared pans, gently pat the bottom of your pan on the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 38 minutes for the 9 inch rounds, 40-50 for the 9 by 13, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with crumbles (not with batter).
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove from the pan and allow to cool the rest of the way. Chill before frosting and serving.