- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: 4
Carne guisada is a popular Tex-Mex recipe that is often served in Texas and other parts of the southwestern United States. This Mexican-inspired stew is a dish your whole family will love.
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat or chuck roast (cubed)
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 6 ounces (1/2 can) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground comino (cumin)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 seeded jalapeno or serrano peppers
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- salt to taste
- Saute onions in oil on medium heat until soft.
- Add meat and cook until outside is browned.
- Pour in broth along with tomato paste, comino, garlic, black pepper, chili powder and peppers.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer until beef is tender and cooked through, up to two hours.
- In a cup, mix cornstarch and water, then add to beef and stir until thickened. Add salt if desired.
- For an extra hearty meal, you can add zucchini or even potatoes to the recipe.