- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 5 min
- Serving: 1 Serving
America’s first whiskey, also known as ‘Rye,’ is used in this intensely-flavored cocktail served at San Francisco’s ‘Cantina.’
- 5 fresh, blemish-free basil leaves, plus 1 leaf for garnish
- 3/4 ounce amontillado sherry
- 1 1/2 ounces Old Overholt rye
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce Cointreau
- Dash orange bitters
- Orange twist to garnish
- Place a cocktail glass in the freezer for 5 minutes to chill.
- Put the basil leaves and sherry into a cocktail shaker and muddle until the leaves are a bit broken up.
- Pour in the rye, lemon juice, Cointreau, and bitters, and then fill the shaker with ice.
- Vigorously shake the mixture for about 30 seconds and then strain into the prepared glass.
- Garnish with the orange twist and remaining basil leaf and serve immediately.