- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: 6 as an appetizer, 4 as a meal
A delicious twist on the classic Italian caprese sandwich.This Caprese flatbread recipe makes an easy, no-cook dinner or an appetizer for guests.
- 8 Roma or plum tomatoes, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 medium fresh basil leaves, stemmed and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 7 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 11 oz container of refrigerated thin crust pizza dough
- 1 garlic clove
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Dice tomatoes into small pieces. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add chopped garlic, salt, pepper, 1/2 of chopped basil (about 1/4 cup), and 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Set aside and allow the mixture to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Flatten pizza dough into rectangle pan as indicated on package, reaching to the edges of the pan.Drizzle dough with extra virgin olive oil and brush it over the surface.
- Bake dough in oven at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes on center rack. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Cut garlic clove in half and rub, cut side down, onto the surface of the bread. The slight warmth of the bread will help extract the garlic flavor.Allow bread to cool completely, about 10 more minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F.
- Combine mayonnaise and garlic powder in a mixing bowl. Evenly spread onto the surface of the bread.Top with shredded mozzarella to evenly cover surface.
- Drain the Caprese mixture, as the salt will have extracted water from the tomatoes, and spread the bread mixture evenly over the bread. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- Return flatbread to oven for 5-7 more minutes or until golden, crisp and bubbly. Garnish with remaining chopped basil. Serve immediately and enjoy!