- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 2 min
- Total: 17 min
- Serving: 4
Do not be put off by the tofu in this smooth and dreamy dish. One bite will seem sinful as the coffee chocolate flavor creams your palate.
- 1 (12.3 ounce) block extra firm tofu (Mori-Nu), refrigerated
- 2 ounces high quality semi-sweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso or coffee powder
- 2 tablespoons to Â¼ cup powdered sugar
- Â½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Kahlua or coffee flavored liqueur (optional)
- Place tofu on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Cover with paper towels and set a cutting board or a weighted plate on top to press out moisture, about 10 minutes.
- Gently melt chocolate pieces in a double boiler or microwave on LOW, stirring every 20 to 30 seconds until melted.
- Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Mash tofu in a large mixing bowl and puree on high speed with a hand mixer until creamy with no visible bits of tofu, about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Scrape down sides, if necessary.
- Tofu can also be pureed in a food processor or blender.
- Add cocoa and espresso powders and blend on low until incorporated then increase speed to high and puree until well blended, about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Scrape down sides as needed.
- Blend in powdered sugar, vanilla and liqueur, on low speed to incorporate sugar then increase speed to high and whip until smooth and fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Spoon mousse into dessert bowls, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and even overnight.
- Serve cold as is or garnished with crumbled biscotti.