- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total: 1 hr
- Serving: 1 loaf.
Wonderful, decieving looking bread. Serve plain, with fresh cantaloupe or with whipped cream.
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup mashed cantaloupe pulp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour a loaf pan.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Sift together three times. Add the nuts. (May omit nuts if desired)
- Cream together the shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg and mix well. Add in the cantaloupe. Add the flour and nut mixture 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well each time.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before serving.