- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total: 35 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Use smoked and seasoned Polish kielbasa for this cabbage and rice soup. Its piquant flavors will add warm and spicy flavor to this hearty and simple meal. Serve with a bottle American Riesling or a Pinot Grigio.
- 7-3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, such as basmati or jasmine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound kielbasa, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium green cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cook the rice according to package directions but replace half of the required water with chicken broth.
- In the meantime, place the oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat and brown the kielbasa for 5 minutes. Place the onion and the cabbage into the pot and cook the mixture for 6 minutes, then stir in the remaining broth.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and pepper and then cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the cooked rice and then serve hot.