- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 31 min
- Total: 51 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
The sweet and creamy taste of the butternut melds beautifully with the smoky and salty taste of the bacon, while the spinach adds texture and color
- 1 butternut squash, peeled Nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups spinach, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 4 slices bacon
- Cook the bacon until crispy in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Remove from the pan, drain on paper towels and crumble when cool.
- Cut the squash into 1-inch chunks and set aside.
- Sauté the onion for 8 minutes in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the squash and the chicken stock to the pot and simmer for 12 minutes. Using a handheld blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Stir in the bacon and the spinach and continue to simmer for 6 minutes until spinach is tender. Serve hot with a grind of fresh black pepper.