- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 26 min
- Total: 36 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
The perfect winter salad to serve guests while entertaining, this toasted squash and hazelnut dish combines rich and creamy flavor with peppery arugula and salty prosciutto. Pair this starter with a bottle of Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc.
- 3-1/2 cups diced butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup blanched hazelnuts
- 3 cups baby arugula, 3 ounces
- 1 medium head frisée, torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 ounces prosciutto, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1-1/2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 2-1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut oil
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the squash in a large bowl, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil and then sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and pepper; toss to coat. Transfer the squash to a baking sheet and then place in the oven for 20 minutes; remove and set aside to cool slightly.
- Put the hazelnuts in a single layer on a pie plate and place in the oven for 6 minutes to toast. Remove and roughly chop once cool enough to handle.
- Toss the arugula, frisée, prosciutto, chives, hazelnuts and squash in a salad bowl.
- Place the remaining olive oil, vinegar, hazelnut oil and a pinch of salt and pepper into a small bowl and whisk vigorously to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad, toss to coat and serve immediately.