- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: 8 Servings
This butternut squash lasagna recipe is a healthy and more interesting alternative to the fatty classic Italian preparation.
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound lasagna noodles
- 1/4 cup plus unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk, warmed
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and black pepper and spread out on an aluminum foil covered baking sheet. Roast squash for 40 to 45 minutes or until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles in boiling water until tender. Drain noodles and reserve.
- Combine butter with flour in a skillet and heat, whisking for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk, bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened.
- When squash is finished cooking combine squash with 1 cup ricotta cheese, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a blender or food processor. Blend until squash is smooth.
- When ready to cook, spoon about 1/4 of the sauce onto the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish then top with 1/4 of the lasagna noodles, 1/4 of the squash, 1/4 of the ricotta cheese, 1/4 of the Parmesan cheese, and 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese. Continue layering ending with mozzarella cheese until all ingredients are finished.
- Cover lasagna with aluminum foil and bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until heated through. Remove lasagna from oven and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes.