- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 1 hr
- Serving: 7 1/2 cups
Great buttercream frosting for icing cookies, cupcakes or homemade cakes. Holds its shape well for piping and decorating.
- 1 1/2 cups shortening
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter softened
- 8 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cream the shortening and softened butter until well mixed and fluffy.
- Slowly add confectioners sugar until well blended.
- Add salt, vanilla and whipping cream.
- Beat on low speed until moist, adding up to an additional 1/4 cup of cream if needed.
- Add food dye if desired.
- Refrigerate or freeze excess.