- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 35 min
- Serving: 6 Servings
Roasting the zucchini, carrot, onion and bell pepper before adding them to the bulgur salad gives this dish a subtle smoky sweetness of flavor.
- 2 cups coarse bulgur, rinsed
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Crushed red pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and cook the bulgur according to package directions. Set aside.
- In the meantime, place the zucchini, carrot, onion and bell pepper into a bowl, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with a few healthy pinches of salt and pepper. Toss to coat and then place on a baking sheet in a single layer. Put the pan in the oven and roast the vegetables for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- After fluffing the bulgur with a fork, add the tomato paste, the roasted vegetables, lemon juice, cucumber and remaining oil. Season to taste with the black and red pepper and some salt and then gently toss once again to combine. Serve immediately.