- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 8 min
- Total: 18 min
- Serving: 6 Servings
Brussels Sprouts are sautéed with fresh basil for this flavorful and aromatic vegetarian side dish recipe. Top the dish with coarsely chopped toasted almonds for a hint of nuttiness and some added crunchy texture.
- 1-1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup onions, finely chopped (1-1/2 medium)
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cooked Brussels sprouts or 2-1/2 cups fresh cooked
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- Place the oil into a large sauté pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onions, bell pepper, and the broth, and cook the mixture for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the Brussels sprouts, basil, lemon juice and peel to the pan, along with a few pinches of salt and pepper to taste. Toss the mixture well to combine and cook for 4 additional minutes. Serve warm.