- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Thick slices of French bread are topped with extra-sharp cheddar cheese and mounds of sautéed brussels sprouts and onions. Serve these delicious appetizers with a bottle of Côtes de Provence.
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
- 4 thick slices of French bread, toasted
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the brussels sprouts in a saucepan of boiling water, cook for 6 minutes, drain and pat dry.
- In the meantime, place the oil into a large sauté pan over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the onion and a few pinches of salt and pepper and sauté the mixture for 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the paprika, cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the boiled brussels sprouts into the pan and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- While the sprouts are cooking, place the bread on a baking sheet and top with the cheese. Place the pan in the oven for 3-4 minutes or until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.
- Season the brussels sprouts mixture to taste with salt and pepper and then spoon the mixture onto the bread slices. Serve immediately.