- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 3 hr
- Total: 3 hr 10 min
- Serving: Makes about 4 cups
This sweet and brightly flavored brown sugar and star anise topping can be enjoyed spread onto toast, spooned onto pancakes, or used as a condiment to accompany roast pork.
- 4 pounds ripe pears cored and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 whole star anise pods
- Preheat you oven to 300 degrees.
- Put the pears in a food processor and puree until smooth, then add the brown sugar, lemon juice and the salt. Pulse well to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9x13-inch baking dish and then add the star anise pods. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 3 hours, stirring approximately every 30 minutes to prevent sticking. Cool and serve or store in a tightly-closed container for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.