- Prep: 45 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total: 1 hr 25 min
- Serving: Makes 12 Servings
This slightly nutty and creamy rice side dish has a bright lemony flavor that pairs well with the salty bite of the green olives. Garnish with aged goat cheese shavings and serve warm.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 cups water
- 3 cups short-grain brown rice
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- Sea salt
- 1-1/2 cups pitted small green olives, halved 6 ounces
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped basil, plus 24 basil leaves for garnish
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces aged goat cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- Place the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the onion and the garlic and sauté for 8 minutes. Stir in the water, rice, thyme and bay leaf and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook for 1 minute and then remove the mixture from the heat, cover and set aside for 35 minutes.
- Place the saucepan back over medium heat and sprinkle the mixture with a few pinches of salt. Cook the rice for about 30 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed, and then remove from the heat.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf and the thyme, and then add the olives, parsley, chopped basil, lemon juice, lemon zest and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Stir the mixture to combine and then serve drizzled with olive oil and topped with the goat cheese and fresh basil.