- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total: 40 min
- Serving: 6
Broccoli with Lemon Sauce will win over picky eaters and vegetable shunners.
- 3 pounds broccoli
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- boiling water and salt for cooking broccoli
- Trim broccoli and wash thoroughly. Split each stalk lengthwise into halves or quarters, depending on size. Cover with boiling water and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, covered, 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in top of double boiler, beat egg yolks with cream and 1/4 teaspoon salt until thickened and lightly colored. Gradually beat in lemon juice.
- Place boiler over hot water; cook, beating constantly with wire whisk until mixture thickens slightly. Remove double boiler from heat, but leave top over hot water.
- Add butter, 1/2 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition until butter is melted. Remove top from hot water.
- In small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form when beater is slowly raised. Fold into yolk mixture.
- Arrange broccoli on heated serving platter. Top with sauce.