- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 50 min
- Serving: 10-12 People
This broccoli and bacon salad with its own dressing, is more like a meal than a side dish. Grapes add sweetness, broccoli adds crunch and the bacon adds the heartiness. Toasted pine nuts can be used instead of slivered almonds.
- 1 pound of bacon
- 1 large head of fresh broccoli, chopped
- 3/4 cups of celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup of green onions, minced
- 1/4 cup of red onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups of seedless red grapes, sliced in halves
- 3/4 cup of blanched, slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup of white sugar (for dressing)
- 2 tablespoons of distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup of low-fat mayonnaise
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until evenly browned. Let the bacon cool, then crumble it.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spread slivered almonds onto a cookie sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes, or until lightly browned. Toss once during baking. Set almonds aside to cool.
- For the dressing, mix the sugar, vinegar and mayonnaise in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, celery, onions and grapes. Toss mixture with the dressing and refrigerate for 3-4 hours prior to serving.
- To keep the bacon and almonds crisp and crunchy, toss them into the salad just before serving.