- Prep: 6 hr
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 7 hr
- Serving: 6
Make this on Christmas Eve, stick it in the fridge, then pop it in the oven Christmas morning. It'll be piping hot and ready for everyone when the unwrapping is over! Also good for New Year's Day.
- 1 pound sausage meat, any kind
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 loaf hearty bread, sliced
- 4 cups shredded cheese, any kind
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove sausage from casing. Place into skillet with onions, and cook over medium heat until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Cover bottom of greased 9" x 13" baking dish completely with bread pieces. Sprinkle with half sausage mixture, then one-third of shredded cheese.
- Add another layer of bread slices, the remaining sausage mixture, and another third of shredded cheese.
- Add third layer of bread and rest of cheese.
- Beat eggs, milk, mustard, salt and cayenne. Pour over layered baking dish and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, remove plastic, arrange tomato slices on top and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake at 350F for 50 to 60 minutes, until puffy and knife inserted in center comes out clean.