- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 20 min
- Serving: 14-16 dumplings
Delicious, from scratch, dumplings
- 3 cups 1/2 inch stale bread, trimmed of crusts
- 1/4 cup unsifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine
- Combine all the ingredients, let stand 5 minutes, then mix again.
- Drop by rounded teaspoon fulls into a little bit of flour. Roll into balls.
- Drop into soup or stew just as it starts to boil, no more than 1 layer deep. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, then covered for 2-3 more minutes.