- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 2 hr 20 min
- Total: 2 hr 45 min
- Serving: 4
Braised Lamb Shanks are served with a delicious sauce.
- 4 lamb shanks, approximately 12 ounces each
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups carrots, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- Heat olive oil in a heavy roasting pan or Dutch oven large enough to hold shanks in one layer. Add shanks and cook 10 minutes on each side. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat.
- Add onions, carrots and celery and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic, wine, lemon halves, salt and pepper. Bake covered at 325 degrees F until tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Turn shanks every 30 minutes.
- Check pan liquids. If dry add another cup water.
- When lamb is tender, remove shanks from sauce. Strain sauce through a sieve and discard vegetables. Skim and discard fat from surface of braising liquid.
- Arrange shanks on a platter and serve braising liquid on the side.